Thursday, October 05, 2006
5th...6th...time is the charm?

Obviously, this KAL is exactly the place for me. I really want to knit socks. I figured I'd start with a pair for my 8 yr. old daughter, since she's pretty forgiving of my learning curve. This is my first attempt. Damn center pull skein. I used Wendy's Toe Up sock pattern, but picking up the double wraps was hard for me. I wasn't at all happy with the way the short-rows looked, and it took me a lot of time and frustration to knit just one double wrapped stitch. The sock ended up being a shade too small anyway and really thick. I had another skein of the yarn, which I wisely wound into a ball before I began again.


This time I tried Purly's yarn over short rows (great tutorial!) with two circulars and that went much, much better. The first few rows were crappy looking until I got the hang of it, so I frogged and began again. One thing I didn't like about either of the short row toes is that the stripes didn't go 'round and 'round the toe, but back and forth. I'm think I'm just weird like that.


I decided to give the Magic Cast on a try. The tutorial on Knitty looked really scary, but after about 6 tries, I got the idea. My toe looked great!





Except for the very pointy toe. I think I had 10 stitches on each needles. When my daughter tried it on, it looked as though she had a little hat at the top of her toes.


I tried again last night, using more stitches at the toe and the Widdershins pattern as a guide for increases, and now it's looking just right.


I'm going to try a short row heel, but I've got a bad feeling about those double wraps. It's great to see everyone else's efforts.

Becca at Forward Motion.


3 Comments:

Blogger ellie said...

Beautiful yarn!

Blogger Zonda said...

Hang in there!! Good thing we are all new at this! We can cheer each other on! :)

Blogger OzKnitter said...

Yay! Keep going Becca, you're doing great. What yarn are you using? It's pretty and I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer