Friday, October 06, 2006
Toe-Ups in Progress
These are my first toe-up socks, started way back in June. (They are poofy because the yarn is tucked inside the toes for easy handling.) These were started for the Six Sox KAL using the Color Blox pattern, which is made to use up scraps. When I encountered difficulty following the pattern, I switched to using Queen Kahuna's book, which the pattern seems to be based on. I am almost finished with the gusset increases and after the heel turn I will do the cuff in basic ribbing.

I bought Queen Kahuna's book almost a year ago but could not do the cast on after several tries. This time it clicked. The book is extremely detailed and redundant, but if you can sift out the actual directions, they are quite good. I've noticed that I am not the only one who has had trouble conquering the toe-up cast on, but eventually it works. I'm looking forward to finishing these socks during this KAL and maybe starting another toe-up pair with some hand-dyed yarn that has limited yardage.

I'm really glad to be a part of this. It's really encouraging seeing everyone's progress.


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I actually did the cast on without any problem but I can't figure out the heels. What heels did you use?

Blogger OzKnitter said...

Welcome Becky. Your socks are looking great!

I agree completely about the Queen Kahuna book! Great information when you can sift through all the extra, unnecessary stuff ;) At first it gave me a headache trying to read it though - LOL! I'll bet she would be a fun person to take a class from, though and I did learn a lot from that book.

Cary at Serenity Farms

Blogger Becky said...

I'm doing the heel in the Queen Kahuna book, I believe it is short row.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer