Sunday, March 04, 2007
Jack Sparrow Sock
My second attempt at knitting a toe-up sock is the Jack Sparrow sock. I found keeping a copy of Wendy's Generic Toe-Up pattern nearby handy as the pattern doesn't explain the short-row toe/heel techniques, just to cast on x stitches and do a short-row heel. I am using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Camouflage and Natural and Opal Uni in Brown. I am knitting this sock as a bday present for a male friend -and was really pleased with myself when I had appeared to finish the first sock. It was only my second attempt at stranded colourwork and I was really pleased with it. However, I somehow managed to make it about 3/4inch too short in the foot, i think my short-row heel takes up less space than I imagined, and although I followed the pattern and knit 5 rounds of stocking stitch after the heel it was clear that he would require a good 2inches or so - men just don't look good in ankle socks! So anyone who decides to knit these, beware, even if its for a girl, you will need more than 5 rounds of knitting after the heel.
I have frogged and have made up the extra for the length and ready to start the heel (again). Photos soon.

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I showed my nephew those socks and he wants a pair for his birthday. I hope you can share all the things you learn along the way as well as some pictures!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first post on this blog and I am really looking forward to learning some new things!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer