Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Purls of wisdom from "The Knitaholic"
The Knitaholic and I are in the same S'n'B group, and she sent me the following email...

"Hi OzKnitter,
I've just been looking at your toe-up socks blog.
I've just finished my first toe-up socks and found them much easier and more logical than the top-down version. I'm looking at doing the Diamante toe up socks from the current fall Knitty. (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTdiamante.html)
I'm now no longer a toe-up socks virgin and hence not qualified to join the blog, but I thought I might offer two tips based on what frustrated me the most when I did the toe-up pattern.
After "getting" the figure 8 cast-on (excellent instructions here:
http://www.purlwise.com/2004/06/figure_8_cast_o.html) the biggest challenge was finding a cast-off that was loose-enough for the top of the socks. I found that the traditional cast-off, even with a much larger needle was still too tight. I then found this solution somewhere on the internet (and promptly lost the link) - so I am not claiming this as my own invention..

Top-of socks stretchy cast-off
Knit 2 stitches together. Loosen up the resulting stitch (I found I got the right amount by stretching out the ribs). Slip the loosened stitch back onto the left needle. Knit it and the next stitch together. Loosen up the resulting stitch. Repeat until one stitch is left and slip the yarn through the final loop."

- - - - - - - - - -

I've posted this with her permission.


1 Comments:

Blogger Saffron said...

I'll keep this in mind when I get there... I'm almost out of yarn so it should be soon. Thanks!!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer